Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  September 24, 2011 12:00am-1:00am EDT

12:00 am
i just want to show our viewers this one more time. when this comes down and begins to break up, it will look something like this. it'll hit the atmosphere. you'll see the pieces there. it will be many pieces. let's hope professor liu is right and they all come down and land in harmless places, some of them perhaps as much as 300 pounds. it's fascinating to watch. we appreciate professor liu's insight. that's all for us tonight. tonight, the interview i've been waiting for. morgan and morgan. >> here you are, morgan freeman. >> yay. >> my hour with the great morgan freeman from "glory" and "driving miss daisy" to "invictus" and "shawshank redemption." his extraordinary 40-year career. his first proper love scene. >> he gets up and plants one right on my lips. a good one, you know. and i was so surprised. >> meaning? >> that the reaction on my face was -- bob says it was priceless. >> very strong feelings about race and the state of his country.
12:01 am
>> that's stated policy. publicly stated. is to do whatever it takes to see to it that obama only serves one term. screw the country. we're going to do whatever we can to get this black man out of here. >> and the morgan freeman you really don't know. >> play golf with one hand. >> really? >> yeah. i can drive a ball 180 yards. >> this man can do just about anything. i'll have to ask him to do me a personal favor. >> i'm going to do this one more time. but after this i get paid. right? this is "piers morgan tonight." morgan freeman is a man of great stature, a man of great talent, and as i've come to realize he's also a great man of his word. a few months ago he promised he'd join me in the studio face to face for a one-on-one interview, and here you are, morgan freeman. >> yay. >> an actor keeping his word. >> yes. >> i'm stunned.
12:02 am
>> yeah. we won't talk about how it came about. >> we won't. i know it's got nothing to do with me. everything to do with one of my very attractive booking team. right? >> yes, yes. i must admit. the most stunning woman i've ever met. >> don't say that. it will go to her head. please. please don't say that. i also said when i interviewed you down the line remotely by satellite that you appeared to be remarkably youthful for a man of your, let's be honest, fairly advanced years. and here you are in the flesh and you're even more youthful in the flesh. what is the secret of the morgan freeman age-defying process? >> got to be genes because i don't really do anything else. >> you don't? >> no. it's got to be the genetic structure. >> i have noticed as you've been laughing that you seem to have a new set of nashers. >> i have a new grill. and -- >> can we have a little -- >> yeah. it's -- >> they're perfect. >> they -- my teeth were moving. they were changing like by the week. >> you've never, you know, been under the sculptor's knife or anything --
12:03 am
>> no, no, no, no. i'm afraid of knives and stuff like that. >> you're frowning quite naturally. there's no sign of botox. >> i've had those since i was a teenager. but i worked out sometimes. you know, i still try to keep nearly fit. and that's helpful. i'm terrified of losing muscle and bone. and if you don't work out, that's exactly what you're going to lose. you know, you lose muscle and your bones start to shrivel. you get all kinds of things wrong with you. so i work out a little bit just because i'm very vain. >> are you vain? >> yes. >> i heard your ex-wife saying you weren't a narcissist but you had a very big ego. >> no, i'm not a narcissist. i don't think i have that much of an ego. i really -- i really don't. but i studied dance for a long time. in my 20s. and when i was studying dance, i remember my instructor saying when you were -- when you dance, he said admire yourself.
12:04 am
so i learned from that, yes, admire yourself, because if you don't then you don't really care that much how you look. >> and also, if you're in the business where your appearance is part of your business, you have to be vain. you have to have an ego. you have to walk on set and believe you're pretty good. >> yeah. right. >> to exude that air. don't you? >> well, i try to. you know. i just did a movie of where -- i was a lady's love interest. and i don't think i've ever done that before. >> you played a lady's love interest finally? >> yeah. >> i didn't think you'd ever play that kind of role. >> me either. >> what made you crumble? >> well, it just -- it came my way. you know, and it would have to wait until i'm at this advanced stage. >> you're 74 years old. i find that incredible to believe. >> well, i was born june 1st in 1937, or so my mother tells me. and i believe her. she's never lied to me. >> let's rewind back to this
12:05 am
love interest role. >> well, it's a movie i did with rob reiner. >> did you like playing a romantic lead finally? >> yes. yes. i didn't think i would. but it was great fun. i was working with just wonderful actors. virginia madsen. and she was just delicious. >> so have you finally performed your first love scene? >> kind of. yeah. >> how is that? >> it was a big surprise to me is what it was. that's how it was. you know, i didn't know that it was going to be a love scene. >> that's fantastic. talk me through it, morgan. go on. finally at 74, you've made movies that have grossed $3 billion. you've finally succumbed to a love scene. talk me through it. >> well, we have this scene where we're talking together. and she's been off to have this -- trying to get settled with her ex-husband. she has three daughters. and i've been baby-sitting for them while she was off in the
12:06 am
city. and you know, she's supposed to get up and come in give me a kiss on the cheek. and instead she gets up and plants one right on my lips. a good one. you know? and i was so surprised. me, me. >> the reaction on my face -- rob says it was priceless. >> and what was going through your mind? you think it's never too late for this kind of thing? were you excited by it? >> i was -- i was stunned. really. i really was. but then it's a really attractive lady. and we were doing fine in the scene. and then that whole movie was just going along -- >> so it was a non-scripted assault on your lips? >> it was a non-scripted assault. and it changed the entire tenor of the movie. >> i hope you did the gentlemanly thing and then responded with equal enthusiasm. >> i did the best i could.
12:07 am
because it wasn't like we rehearsed it. you know? she decided -- i'm doing this and got up and followed her muse, whatever it was, at the time. >> where did things end here? where did it go? >> well, we don't know. >> jacuzzi scene? where are we going? >> no. no. we had a dream sequence. i dreamed of making love to her. >> you never actually got to do it? >> no. >> is it a matter of bitter personal regret now? >> i wouldn't say that. and my whole career, i don't think i've ever had an affair with an actress. >> have you not? >> no. >> that is extraordinary. you've never had an affair with one of your actresses? >> no. >> how have you resisted the trap, even pleasure perhaps that many of your colleagues have fallen into? >> one of the things i think is i just never need to live the part. if i'm supposed to be with an actress, i don't have to fall in love with her to play it.
12:08 am
you know. i just never did it. i don't believe in it. i don't think it's a good idea. >> why? >> well, at the end of the day you're going to break up because you're going to go into another one. you know? so it's just not -- i don't. i don't think it's a good idea. >> because i've always felt with you, morgan, correct me if i'm wrong here, but i've always felt you're a natural ladies' man, that women really love you. women i know who know you adore you. and you always seem to have a natural affinity around women. would you accept that? >> yes. yes. i absolutely adore women. i just do. you know, i'm a mama's boy. i absolutely love women. but i also have an abiding respect for them. i think that's what comes across more than -- i'm not what you would call a ladies' man. i'm not a real big skirt chaser. >> a small-time skirt chaser? >> there is a secret that i'll
12:09 am
tell you after the show. >> go on, what's the secret? >> don't chase women. >> really? >> they'll chase you. >> is that your strategy? >> yeah. >> does it work? >> it works very well. i'm going to get in trouble for saying this because -- >> how do you -- explore this technique for me. what is the technique of letting them chase you? how do you make yourself known as potentially available? >> just don't do it. don't -- you know, you meet a lady, you express to her how wonderful she looks or how you respond to the way she looks or whatever it is and then go on about your business. >> and does it ever -- >> they like horses in the pasture sometime. you walk into a pasture and the horse sees you, he's coming over to investigate. and if you see a lady and you don't go, drooling all over her she's going to want to know why.
12:10 am
>> so basically a lifetime of non-drooling has been a successful strategy? >> yeah. it works fine. >> any other tips? >> you need to have a large amount of respect for ladies. they respond very well to that. >> how are you dealing with being a single man again after a long time married? >> this has happened before. what happens generally is that -- sort of like oh, oh, he's back. so then you're sort of -- you're in a good position. now, ladies. >> we'll take a i think much-needed break while we both recover from this. and come back and talk to you about your early life in mississippi. i like this quote you said. it was your goal to always leave mississippi. >> yeah. >> which you achieved. i'm interested in why. >> all right. well, i -- >> after the break. life insurance companies
12:11 am
treat you like a policy, not a person. instead of getting to know you they simply assign you a number. aviva is here to change all that. we're bringing humanity back to insurance and putting people before policies. aviva life insurance and annuities. we are building insurance around you.
12:12 am
toi switched to a complete0, multivitamin with more. only one a day women's 50+ advantage has ginkgo for memory and concentration, plus support for bone and breast health. a great addition to my routine. [ female announcer ] one a day women's. today i own 165 wendy's restaurants. and i get my financing from ge capital. but i also get stuff that goes way beyond banking. we not only lend people money, we help them save it. [ junior ] ge engineers found ways to cut my energy use. [ cheryl ] more efficient lighting helps junior stay open later... [ junior ] and serve more customers. so you're not just getting financial capital... [ cheryl ] you're also getting human capital. not just money. knowledge. [ junior ] ge capital. they're not just bankers... we're builders. [ junior ] ...and they've helped build my business.
12:13 am
[ cellphone rings ] cut! [ monica ] i have a small part in a big movie. i thought we'd be on location for 3 days, it's been 3 weeks. so, i used my citi simplicity card to pick up a few things. and i don't have to worry about a late fee. which is good... no! bigger! bigger! [ monica ] ...because i don't think we're going anywhere for a while. [ male announcer ] write your story with the new citi simplicity card. no late fees. no penalty rate. no worries. get started at citisimplicity.com.
12:14 am
[♪...] >> male announcer: now, for a limited time, your companion flies free, plus save up to 65%. call 1-800-sandals. conditions apply. ♪ what are you doing there? >> oh, i just love a house of pictures, miss daisy. it do make a home. >> i don't want you nosing through my things. >> morgan freeman in "driving miss daisy." the movie took best picture in the academy awards in 1989 and tackled some pretty tough questions about race in america. you were brought up in mississippi and you said, as you said before the break, it was your goal to always leave. why was that? >> well, growing up, the
12:15 am
segregation in mississippi just sort of had us all a little upset with the situation. and i thought get out of here because you know, there's no life for you here. >> what did that kind of intense racism teach you? or not even teach you. what did it motivate you to try and achieve in your life? >> your teachers tell you, get an education and go somewhere, be something. don't -- don't succumb to depression, let's say. and i was always ambitious. i always wanted to be more than i was. more than i was. i always wanted to be a movie actor. now, mississippi, there was just no way. and so one of the things was you're never going to do it here. when i graduated from high school, i had two partial
12:16 am
scholarships, drama, for drama. and i thought what am i going to do with it here? so out. i had to get out. >> in the sense that in you're a young black man growing up in mississippi at the time your chances of getting on in life are pretty close to zero? >> if you stayed there. >> yeah. >> now, i had a lot of friends, my contemporaries in school, and they're in the mississippi legislature, they're senators, and they're teachers and they went to stuff like that. you know. so the timing was right for us sort of, you know. after 1964 things sort of broke loose. >> well, when barack obama became president, i know you endorsed him and supported him and so on. obviously, it was seen as this pivotal moment for america where we had the first black president. and yet i've seen you many times in interviews stress you don't want to be known as a black actor. >> no. >> you don't think the word "black" should now really be used in any context to -- >> not really. what use is -- what good does it
12:17 am
do? you know, what we've almost always done when you label someone, you know, say, for example -- well, he's the best chinese this or he's the best latin that or the best black that. nobody ever says the best white anything. and the reason is that that's where the norm is. well, i'm part of the norm. i don't want to be isolated over here because it diminishes me somehow. >> has obama helped the process of eradicating racism or has it in a strange way made it worse? >> made it worse. look at -- the tea partiers who are controlling the republican party, their stated policy, publicly stated, is to do whatever it takes to see to it that obama only serves one term. what's -- what underlines that?
12:18 am
screw the country. we're going to do whatever we do to get this black man -- we can. we're going to do whatever we can to get this black man out of here. >> but it's not necessarily racist -- >> it is a racist thing. >> isn't it just republican -- >> no, because they would have gotten rid of bill clinton if they could have. >> well, they tried. >> they tried. but still -- they're not going to get rid of obama either. i think they're shooting themselves in the head. >> does it unnerve you that the tea party are gaining such traction? >> yes. >> why? >> well, it just shows the weak, dark underside of america. we're supposed to be better than that. we really are. that's why all those people were in tears when obama was elected president. look at what we are. look at how -- this is america. you know?
12:19 am
and then it just sort of started turning because these people surfaced. like stirring up muddy water. >> are you disappointed that obama hasn't been more aggressive in taking them on? >> kind of. kind of. but i so understood that he was trying to hold on to his own promise that he -- he would be president of all the people. he would be -- he was not going to -- he was going to try not to have this -- >> wouldn't most americans now, certainly a majority in my view, love him to just stick a metaphorical bloody nose on his opponents? >> yes. now you do. because now you see how hard he's trying and how hard they have fought against him. yes. that's what we all want to see. and he's going to do it. >> you think so? >> yeah. bloody nose -- >> do you think he has it in him? >> of course he does.
12:20 am
he's just an honorable man. but yeah. he's strong. he's -- what did they say when he announced we got bin laden? oh, well, now he does have some balls. that's not a surprise. yes. but you know, he's a man of deep honor. >> what advice would you give him now? we're a year away from election. >> i don't have to give him advice. but if we had to sit down and talk, i would say what you just said. you know, we want you to now go the other way. >> get punching. >> yeah. yeah. >> because there is a -- i mean, if you look at his approval rating, there is a genuine risk now that he could be a one-term president and never get to fulfill -- >> there is a genuine risk. but this whole thing about polls and approval ratings, you know, they go up and down like a yo-yo. it just depends on what -- i mean, if the stock market
12:21 am
suddenly goes up, so do his poll numbers. >> we'll take a little break. we'll come back and i want to talk to you about movies. i want to know, of all the movies, as i say, they've grossed nearly $3 billion. which is the one you would remake again if you had a month to live? don't answer yet. have a think. ♪ don't you cry ♪ soon the sun ♪ is going to shine ♪ [ male announcer ] toyota presents the prius family. ♪ walk if i want, talk if i want ♪ [ male announcer ] there's the original one... the bigger one... the smaller one... and the one that plugs in. they're all a little different, just like us. whether it can be done safely and responsibly. at exxonmobil we know the answer is yes. when we design any well, the groundwater's protected by multiple layers of steel and cement.
12:22 am
most wells are over a mile and a half deep so there's a tremendous amount of protective rock between the fracking operation and the groundwater. natural gas is critical to our future. at exxonmobil we recognize the challenges and how important it is to do this right. hey, jessica, jerry neumann with a policy question. jerry, how are you doing? fine, i just got a little fender bender. oh, jerry, i'm so sorry. i would love to help but remember, you dropped us last month. yeah, you know it's funny. it only took 15 minutes to sign up for that new auto insurance company but it's taken a lot longer to hear back. is your car up a pole again? [ crying ] i miss you, jessica! jerry, are you crying? no, i just, i bit my tongue. [ male announcer ] get to a better state. state farm. [ male announcer ] get to a better state. ♪ priceis it true thata-tor. name your own price.... >>...got even easier? affirmative. we'll show you other people's winning hotel bids. >>so i'll know how much to bid... ...and save up to 60% >>i'm in i know see winning hotel bids now at priceline.
12:23 am
your core competency is...competency. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle...and go. you can even take a full-size or above, and still pay the mid-size price. i'm getting an upgrade. [ male announcer ] as you wish, business pro. as you wish. go national. go like a pro. now through january earn a free day with every two rentals. find out more at nationalcar.com.
12:24 am
12:25 am
championship. >> yeah. >> well, now it makes sense. >> what about you, scrap? what did your manager do? you were a hell of a fighter. a lot better than willie. he gets you a title fight or did he just bust you out banging your head against other people's fists until you lost your eye? >> i had my shot. i went out swinging, and no man could say i didn't. >> that's from "million dollar baby," for which you finally, eventually won an academy award for. you must be thinking when in the hell do i get one of these things? >> what for? >> what was the movie before that where you felt most like this is the one, i'm going to get an oscar for this, and didn't? >> "driving miss daisy."
12:26 am
>> yeah. that was scandalous. >> really, i did -- but i didn't -- i didn't have an argument when daniel day lewis got it. because i saw "my left foot." and it was like, wow. you know? >> did you get tie point when you've made all these movies and you still haven't won one, you still have to think i'm never going to win an oscar. >> you know, i changed my approach mentally. i decided, okay, let's forget about winning an oscar and let's see how many times you can get nominated. >> because you've been nominated five, six times? how many? >> five. >> five times. >> yeah. >> and there is that kind of always the bridesmaid, never the bride scenario starts to lurk in your head. >> but after a while i think there's some value in just being nominated. i used to always say, once you win it, that's it, you're done. but long as you can get nominated, everyone's going to
12:27 am
say, you know, this guy's been up here -- it's like paul newman. how many times are you nominate sxud don't win? peter o'toole. he probably got more nominations than anyone in history. never won. >> when you heard the magical words, "winner, morgan freeman," honestly what were you thinking when you heard that? >> you want the truth or you want me to make something up? >> the truth. >> i knew it. >> really? >> yeah. see, to me an academy award is for best actor. best supporting actor is a runner-up prize. >> so it doesn't count really. >> it does because people can still say you won an academy award. >> but to you you still need to win the best actor. >> well, as i say, i'd much prefer to be nominated now for best actor. >> is that one of the things
12:28 am
that continues to drive you to work so hard? because you don't need to. >> no. no, no, no. awards you'll get if you're good enough or if you get the public's attention. but no, working is working. it's just that. i always wanted to be in the movies. i'm in the movies. i want to stay -- keep doing it. i enjoy it a lot. >> i want to play you a clip from my favorite morgan freeman movie. it's no great secret because we touched on this earlier. let's watch this. >> there's something inside that they can't get to, that they can't touch. it's yours. >> what are you talking about? >> hope. >> hope. let me tell you something, my friend. hope is a dangerous thing. hope can drive a man insane. it's got no use on your inside. better get used to that idea.
12:29 am
>> "shawshank redemption." i mean, a brilliant movie. and we've discussed it. >> written by stephen king. >> that's right. it was. yeah. when you saw the script for "shawshank redemption," do you know instantly now what is a good and bad script? can you tell? >> oh, yeah. it's the same way with reading a book. page 1 sometimes you're hooked. you know that this is going to be great. it's all about writing. you know? what hooks you in writing. just somebody's ability to put words together and create imagery. >> and when you see red saying hope is a dangerous thing, is that morgan freeman about the oscar for best actor? could you relate to him? >> actually, no. you know. but you could say that if you had a real quirky twist of your mind. >> i heard the filming on "sha shank redemption" was quite edgy, that it wasn't easy. why is that? >> well, there are different
12:30 am
reasons for that. if you have issues with the direction, it's going to get edgy. >> and you did? >> yeah. >> why? >> well, i like directors that listen to me. i like for them -- if i say something, i say it because i know what i'm talking about, pretty much. and a lot of the directors that i have worked with know that and respond to that. and if they don't, then i'm a little miffed. don't come to me later on and say you were right. >> how would you have changed it? >> would i have changed dpsh. >> "shawshank redemption." >> i wouldn't have changed a thing in it. >> so did you finally get your way? >> yes. >> but you had to have a battle? >> had to have a battle at one point just to say no, not doing that. >> would you advise that for most actors, though, or do you think you're in that rare -- >> if your instincts are telling you that -- and when you read a script and they say this is a character i want you to play, you want me to play the
12:31 am
character. i'm the actor. i'm not a puppet. so don't let me come on set and you start giving me direction. i don't want it. i don't need it. if you wanted to play the part then -- >> what will directors make of this when they watch this interview? >> what will directors say? >> what will they think of what you're saying? >> well -- >> will it horrify them? >> the older, good ones understand that -- >> well, they're going to take it from you because you're morgan freeman, but they're not going to take it from some lippy 25-year-old actor, are they? >> probably -- >> you don't encourage all actors to rise up against directors. >> no, i don't. but i don't encourage them to knuckle under when you feel strongly that you're right about your character. >> i asked before the break which is the movie you would make again. not to change but just to relive the experience for whatever reason. if you had a month to live. what would it be? >> anything i did with clint eastwood. >> really? >> yeah.
12:32 am
>> why? >> he's just great to work with. done three movies with him. and they were all good. >> "unforgiven," "invictus" and "million dollar baby." >> "million dollar baby." yeah. and when he finished filming "invictus," we all said why don't we start again? it was so much fun. you wouldn't look at a movie like that and think these guys are having a great time. i mean, everybody. >> i'm going to feel like that in 20 minutes. can you come on every month? maybe bring your friend clint. >> oh, that would be interesting. you would get a kick out of that. >> come on with clint. >> yeah, if you get clint, i'll come. >> fantastic. fantastic. we're not finished yet. when we come back after the break, i want to talk to you more about movies, and in particular your role in the "batman" movies. >> uh-oh. when anybody in america calls quicken loans
12:33 am
for a free home loan review, we'll offer them a free android smartphone. but how are you gonna get these phones to our clients coast to coast? it's gonna take a little magic. i'm on it. straight from motown to you, america! yes! helping people coast to coast. give me that spartan touch. [ male announcer ] call today for a free home loan review. we'll offer a free android smartphone to you! one more way quicken loans is engineered to amaze. we'll offer a free android smartphone to you! [ boy ] hey, i thought these were electric? uh, it is, yeah, it's a chevy volt. so what are you doing at a gas station? well it still takes gas to go farther. but you're not getting gas. true. not this time. uh, don't have to gas up very often. so you have to go to the bathroom? no. yes you do. thought these were electric? yes, it's a uh, a chevy volt. so what are you doing at a gas station?
12:34 am
[ woman ] my heart medication isn't some political game. [ man ] our retirement isn't a simple budget line item. [ man ] i worked hard. i paid into my medicare. [ man ] and i earned my social security. [ woman ] now, instead of cutting waste and loopholes, washington wants to cut our benefits? that wasn't the agreement. [ male announcer ] join the members of aarp and tell washington to stop cuts to our medicare and social security benefits. this is not how witness protection works! when we set you up with that little hardware store we didn't intend for your face to be everywhere. but fedex office makes it so easy. not only do they ship stuff, they print flyers, brochures -- everything i need to get my name out there. that's the problem. now we need to give you a third identity. you're paul matheson. and you're gonna run your business into the ground. erik gustafson would never do that! there is no erik gustafson. hey that's erik gustafson!!! there is no erik gustafson!!!!! [ male announcer ] small business solutions. fedex. solutions that matter.
12:35 am
for medicare made clear, we're here to answer all of your questions. call unitedhealthcare medicare solutions.
12:36 am
i want $10 million a year for the rest of my life. >> let me get this straight. you think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with
12:37 am
his bare hands, and your plan is to blackmail this person? >> that's from "the dark knight," the last batman movie. you were just saying you love that scene. why? >> i do. well, it's just that watching this young man, this actor, make this transition from i want $10 million for the rest of my life, it's like -- let me ask you this. >> how important is money to you? obviously, you came from very little money. >> money is really not important until you don't have any. and so i pretty much grew up without any. and now i have enough to do whatever i want to do. so it's just there. >> you went through a pretty high-profile and very -- apparently very expensive divorce. was that painful to you?
12:38 am
>> yeah. these things are -- the pain is -- it's not real. you know, it's more psychic than real. because -- i wasn't being broke, and i wasn't going to walk out of this without anything. so it's -- what's the word i'm looking for? it's just a -- >> it's a state of mind, really, is it? >> yeah. >> more like the principles at stake. >> it's a principle. that's all. >> did you feel done in? did you feel like you'd been unfairly treated? >> slightly, yeah. yeah. but i'm cool. >> you're what? >> i'm cool. >> how do you get on with your ex these days? i've been through a divorce. it's not easy, the actual process. but have you been able to have an ongoing relationship, a friendship? >> no. >> not at all?
12:39 am
>> no. i don't want it. >> you don't want it? >> no. >> why? >> what for? >> i don't know, i suppose. 27 years together. >> yeah. but you know, i don't -- there's no kids. >> so you never speak to each other at all? >> well, not really. >> i suppose that's not strange if you -- >> no. why would it be strange? >> i don't know. i suppose everyone always imagines it's a nice way -- i mean, i speak to my ex-wife because we have three kids and so i speak to her most days about the kids. >> right. >> if you don't have that glue, i guess there's no real need to, is there? >> no. that glue isn't there. there's no real need to. >> you've been married twice. do you think you'll get married again? >> no. >> that's it. >> and the reason i got married the second time was to tell you the truth you don't want to grow old alone.
12:40 am
but that's like an empty fear. you're not going to grow old alone. you're just going to die alone. >> that's a very morbid way of looking at things, morgan. >> well, maybe. but tell me who dies with somebody. >> i'm hoping that i may have some quaint deathbed scene -- >> you don't know anything about it. >> are you a god-fearing man? >> no. i don't fear anything. i'm god. >> you have played god, of course. let's hold that thought. >> how do you have the temerity if you don't believe in yourself? >> let's hold the thought that you're god. >> okay. >> and come back after the break and discuss the god that is morgan freeman. >> all right. and afterlife.
12:41 am
12:42 am
12:43 am
>> you know, she's amazing. i don't know how she does it. she's obviously stressed. today was horrible. you know, listening to really terrible lies about her, about the case. and she just had to sit and listen, you know, to it. and it obviously caused a lot of stress. but you know, she's hanging in there. >> i'll have more of that interview tonight at the top of the hour. more "piers morgan" in a moment. t she shut the door ♪ ♪ girl started blowing up their credit score ♪ ♪ she bought a pizza party for her whole dorm floor ♪ ♪ hundred pounds of makeup at the makeup store ♪ ♪ and a ticket down to spring break in mexico ♪
12:44 am
♪ but her folks didn't know 'cause her folks didn't go ♪ ♪ to free-credit-score-dot-com hard times for daddy and mom. ♪ offer applies with enrollment in freecreditscore.com™.
12:45 am
12:46 am
who are you? >> i'm the one. creator of the heavens and the earth. alpha and omega. >> oh. i see where this is going. >> bruce, i'm god. >> bingo. yahtzee. is that your final answer? our survey says -- god! ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. >> that was you as god in the film "bruce almighty." i heard you had no hesitation -- >> none whatsoever. >> -- in assuming the mantel of god. >> no. why would i? >> did you like playing god? >> yes. it was fun. it was fun. and you know, i could tell the writer-director, who was tom shadyac, he would say, you know, so he does this and that happens. no, no, no, no, no. no.
12:47 am
that happens because i think it, not because i did anything. i'm not going to wiggle my nose or make a little gesture, you know. if i want it to happen, it happens. and he went along with that. that's what i mean by directors who listen. you asked me before if i was a god-fearing man. >> yeah. >> and i said -- >> you don't fear anyone. >> right. i'm god. now, that sounds frivolous. but what i mean is that if god exists it only has to -- it can only exist in you, not outside you. right? >> absolutely. >> right. do i believe in life after death? my real belief is that life and death are a continuum, within needs the other. >> where do you physically continue, do you think? >> if you -- when you die, you
12:48 am
feed something that lives. >> so you believe in kind of -- >> from the beginning that's what i believe. gloria patria. as it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. that doesn't mean that you as a human being will be here forever. life will be here forever. as long as there is a planet, there would be life on it. i don't think we are any more important to the planet than dinosaurs were. >> let me take you to your deathbed. >> go ahead. >> which is clearly going to be a miserable scene. we've established that. you on your own. it's miserable. and you're about to die. would you have any regrets about your life? and if so, what would they be? >> i don't think you know that until you get there. if i had any regrets, i would be able to say it right now. yes, i wish i'd never done this or that or the other. >> what would be the biggest regret of your life? >> i don't know. i don't know. i haven't finished. so i may do something else
12:49 am
stupid. >> also one thing you would change if you could go back in time. >> i'm not going to tell you that. >> why? >> it's not fair to some other people. >> how bad is it? >> really bad. >> you had a really bad accident. >> yeah. >> and you had to be cut out and everything else. i mean, in moments like that do you go through the cliched -- does your life flash before you kind of thing? >> no. i didn't even know what was going on. i had no idea this was happening. i think maybe i just passed out or went to sleep or something and wrecked the car. then woke up with being cut out of the car. but no. and i've been in situations where you look at it approaching and saying, well, this has got to be it, this must be the end of it. you know. but your life doesn't flash in front of your face. you just -- >> you suffered permanent damage to your arm. >> well, i hope it's not permanent. but it's been three years.
12:50 am
and it's not the arm. just the hand. i can't move the fingers. >> you have it in the glove here -- >> yeah, i have it in the glove because i can't move it. and if you can't move your hand, you move your hand a million times a day every day, if you can't move it, blood will pool in it. it doesn't get proper circulation. and blood pools and it swells. so the glove -- >> so it's pretty well ad happened, isn't it? >> pretty asch dead happened, yeah. >> does that impact on your acting at all? >> only if i have to do something and pretend that it's not dead. >> were you left or right handed? >> left. >> you're left-hand who had has lost the power of his left hand? >> yeah. >> so how has that affected your life? >> well, conventional wisdom says that left-handed people are much more adaptable if they have to learn to use their right hand than right-handed people because you live in a right-handed world. >> so, how are you finding writing with the right hand? had >> it's -- i try not to write much, you know? i can sign my name, it is just a
12:51 am
scrawl that's all you have to do, it's done, but i can't really write with it. i can print pretty good. >> i know you like playing golf and stuff. can you do that? >> yeah, i play golf with one happened. >> with one hand? >> yeah. >> really? >> yeah, drive a ball 180 yards. >> can you really? >> yeah. >> that's extraordinary. >> you do what you have to do if you want to do something, you just do with what you've got. >> going to take a little break and come back and talk to you about your love for a doll finger the words i never thought i would use to you, morgan freeman. >> i never thought aid hear them. ♪ my subaru saved my life.
12:52 am
♪ i will never forget that. [anncr:] love. it's what makes a subaru... a subaru. if by blessed you mean freaked out about money. well, we suddenly noticed that everything was getting more expensive, so we switched to the bargain detergent, but i found myself using three times more than you're supposed to and the clothes still weren't as clean as with tide. so we're back to tide. they're cuter in clean clothes. [ laughs ] thanks, honey. yeah. you suck at folding. [ laughs ] that's my tide. what's yours? [ female announcer ] find the tide that's right for you at tide.com.
12:53 am
delivering mail, medicine and packages. yet they're closing thousands of offices, slashing service, and want to lay off over 100,000 workers. the postal service is recording financial losses, but not for reasons you might think. the problem ? a burden no other agency or company bears. a 2006 law that drains 5 billion a year from post-office revenue while the postal service is forced to overpay billions more into federal accounts. congress created this problem, and congress can fix it. hthat make youls witgo like this?tes come talk to regions about a personal loan to consolidate your higher interest debt into one lower monthly payment. it could mean you go from this to this.
12:54 am
12:55 am
>> well, to begin with she just moves as wet silk but how would you keep the doing a gone thing on? there's nothing there, there's nothing to attach anything to. it's preposterous anyway, trying to put a tail on a fish. and nobody in his mind would even try. luckily, i'm not. >> not what? >> in my right mind. >> from your new film "dolphin tail" in theaters now. you play dr. mccarthy who builds
12:56 am
a tail for this dolphin, a true story. >> base and true story, yeah. >> a dolphin called winter and this prosthetic tail is attached by the end of the movie in some real sort of weepy, heartwarming film. tell me about t did you know the story? >> no. no. no. i had no idea of the story. but let me take you back a little bit. i'm a deep water sailor, i'm a blue water sailor. and all blue water sailors have had encounters with dolphins at sea because i think they are probably the only creatures in the wild who will come and have any kind of rapport with humans. they come over and they play around your boat and ride on the bow wave and go out and dance and come back and ask you did you like that? was it okay? you know? but i've never been up close and personal, you know, going to seaworld or something like that to see a dolphin. but here was an opportunity in this movie, which was a
12:57 am
wonderful script, i might add, it was an opportunity to be involved with a dolphin. so, that was a good reason to do it. >> do you believe from your sea faring that they are more intelligent? >> oh, absolutely. i think dolphins are the only wild creatures, the only wild creatures on the planet who will voluntarily come up and have any kind of encounters with humans. they do that. i mean, whales don't come and play around with you. no kind of fish does. no animal does that you know about, if he is wild it is out there you can tame horses, cows, chickens, goats, ducks and things like that but in the wild, they are wild, they won't come near u dolphins will. >> you get to play with harry connick jr., interviewed him. how was that? >> that was great fun. great. you know, harry, he is just a regular guy who happens to have this incredible talent.
12:58 am
and i -- i -- i'm an actor. that's really all i do. but i love to sing. so i'm always singing to myself. i sing to entertain me. and you know, if you hear it and you say, oh you sound good, then i will entertain you. but harry said -- was always saying, you -- you should go into a studio. you should just go in a studio and lay down some songs. and say, harry, i'm gonna do that i only sing because i enjoy listening to myself. >> are you tempted? you got the voice. i'm not even tempted. >> you could be the new barry white. >> no. >> love train. >> i will never get down that low in my voice. but here is -- here is somebody's suggestion. what if -- what if you went into a studio with harry? harry came one great idea, you know? so, i forget what he called it
12:59 am
he had a name for it and it -- i forget -- actors to come in and sing with him. >> brilliant. you gone do this? >> if he gets it together, i'm going, yeah. >> we have got a scoop. you are going to sing a duet with harry connick, jr.? >> yeah. >> have you chosen the song yet? >> we haven't decided. >> what is what you sung in the shower and get the chance? >> almost anything that i know that frank sinatra sings. >> perfect for harry connick. >> yeah. >> what is your favorite sinatra song? >> i don't have a favorite sinatra song, i run through the whole gam money. >> going took your death ambassador bed scene, take you forward to the funeral. ♪ my story is much too sad to be told ♪ >> the one thing but, morgan freeman, i have established over the last hour, is your story is not too sad to be told it has been a story of joyous chaos, triumph, occasional disaster, but above all, great fun. thank you very much. >> thank you. >>ee

49 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on